Scholarships and Awards
- Professional Service Award: Given to an outstanding counselor, teacher, administrator, or program developer who has made a major contribution the field, showing professionalism, imagination, and competence.
- Learner-Contributor Award: Given to an individual who has not only completed an educational program, but has applied this learning to the benefit of the community in some significant way.
- The Martha L. Stanley Memorial Award: Given in recognition of sustained and dedicated service to the field of adult education, with attention to promoting the many disciplines of the field to the public with a philosophy that we are all lifelong learners. This is a traveling award, but each year’s recipient will also receive a permanent wall plaque.
- The Harlan Copeland Award for Excellence in Programming: Given to an individual in recognition for an exemplary or model program that she/he has planned, designed implemented and evaluated. The following criteria will be considered: elements of the program idea, assessment, program format, administrative support, evaluation and evidence of effectiveness. Standards are intended to be high with the award not given automatically each year, but committed to excellence. The winner must have been a MACAE member for at least two years. The award carries a stipend of $750.
- Lucille Fischer Award for Outstanding ABE Learner: Given to four outstanding ABE learners recommended to the MACAE Awards Committee by a Minnesota teacher or program for outstanding achievement. The award is given at the MACAE Fall Conference. Each learner receives a $50.00 stipend.
- Howard Hovland Award: Given ta MACAE member who plans tus the funds for professional development. The MACAE Board of Directors selects the person upon submission of a written proposal the Awards Committee at anytime during the year. Generally, no more than two awards are given each year. The amount is up to $250.00 per individual.
- Outstanding Adult Education Program Award: Programs for this award may be of short or continuing duration. Programs address such characteristics as cooperation and teamwork, effective use of resources, achievement, impact, and innovation.
- Outstanding Organizational Program Award: Given to an individual or organization responsible for an exemplary adult education program in a hospital, business, union, religious organization, community council, or other type of organization. The organization—while not an adult education organization per se—must use adult education to achieve or contribute to its organizational mission.
Contribution to the Field Awards
- William W. Metcalfe Research/Evaluation Award: Given to an individual(s) or organization which has recently completed significant empirical or conceptual research or evaluation about the field or program in adult education.
- Publication Award: Given to the author of a published work, which has furthered the field of education.
- Policy Award: Given to an individual or an institution that has made a contribution to policy issues related to adult education.
- Volunteer Award: Given to an individual and/or group, (advisory council, etc.) that has made significant contribution the practice of adult education.
- Outside Contributor(s) Award: Given in special recognition of an individual or group which has done much for the adult education effort, but is not directly in the field (members of the media, legislators, foundations, community groups.)
- The Missouri Valley Adult Education Association Award: Awarded annually to an outstanding adult educator in MACAE who has contributed to adult education on a statewide, regional, and/or national basis. (Recipient will win the MVAEA Achievement Award for Minnesota and must be a member of both MVAEA and MACAE.)
MACAE Annual Scholarships
For Adult Educators, Individuals, Educational Programs, Contributors to the Field Awards, and Missouri Valley Adult Education Association (MVAEA)
- Outstanding Adult Educator: Nominations due: October 15. Contact Ben Bryant at email@example.com.