MACAE members come from diverse areas of adult education—adult basic education, business and industry, communications media, community education, community groups, cultural organizations, extension education, government agencies, health care institutions, human services agencies, libraries, literacy programs, private consultancies, public schools, religious institutions, student groups, universities and colleges, vocational schools, and volunteer programs.
- Network with instructors, professionals, counselors, administrators, and others who work with adult learners.
- Keep current on trends, research, and developments in the field of adult education.
- Study important issues facing adult educators and provide recommendations for action.
- Participate in thought-provoking conferences and forums.
- Share your ideas and activities with other adult education practitioners.
- Promote political and legislative awareness of adult education.
- Provide leadership through committee service.
Update is published quarterly and is a newsletter of ideas, reviews, opinions, and articles related to the various facets of adult education as professional practice. It is a forum in which MACAE members can share their wisdom about best practices, methods, and theories that most influence their work as educators. PRAXIS is a journal of critical thought produced three times per year and encourages the practical scholarship of members by inviting them to explore and analyze themes of common interest.
Conferences and Forums
The annual Fall Conference provides opportunities for participation in workshops and professional development. Issues Forums are held regularly to explore current and emerging issues that affect adult education and adult learners and providers.
Individual awards and program awards are granted each year at the annual conference by a committee of professional peers.
Regional and National Affiliations
MACAE is affiliated with the Missouri Valley Adult Education Association (MVAEA) and the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE).
- Applies to degree-granting accredited colleges and universities, health and training institutions.
- One professional membership for the institution’s official representative.
- Affiliate membership for additional members of the institution.
- The annual dues for an institutional member is based on the number of individuals the Institutions wish to enroll in MACAE.